i have had severely bloody stools for about a year

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have had severely bloody stools for about a year now twice a day..sometimes with pain sometimes without. normal bowel movement.. not diarrhea. no stomach pain. have had hemorrhoids since i was born but started protruding since having my first child 4 years ago. never bleeding until now but this is much mire blood than a menstrual or bleeding hemorrhoid..could it be cancer or what?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You must perform colonoscopy...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1. you are reporting to have bloody stools since a year but with normal bowel movements.
These findings are most probably related with hemorrroids bleeding , especialy if you are having red and fresh blood with stools.
2. with regards to cancer. Yes it is true that is one of major causes of bloody diarrhea but usually it is asociated with bowel movements change.

This is why to my opinion you must perform colonoscopy to rule out/confirm the exact diagnosis.
Meantime you can use preparation H for hemorroids.
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T