i have had a persistent cough for more than 2.5

Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have had a persistent cough for more than 2.5 months now. chest xray is normal, have taken robitussin with codiene and benzonatate with no relief. also tried pulmicort inhaler. currently taking carvedolol, aspirin, effiant, lipitor and losartan-htcz due to a heart attack 2 years ago. everything is fine with my heart, blood pressure has been good 135/80 or lower. use a cpap at night. when i do cough it is clear phlegm. i have seen my primary twice with no relief. please help.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hii. It's evident from your symptoms that you are having allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hii. It's evident from your symptoms that you are having allergic rhinitis and pharyngitis. You are also having cardiac issues for which you are taking medication. The duration of your cough is 2.5 months. That's why you need to have a thorough check up of your throat, sinuses. Do a X ray paranasal sinus. Take a throat swab and sent for culture and sensitivity and also for AFB staining and culture. If possible consult an ENT surgeon and undergo an endoscopy to see the throat. Do a chest X ray. In the meantime start nasal fluticasone spray, betadine gargle,steam inhalation. Avoid excessive tea, coffee,cold drink. Stay away from dust,cold. Take omeprazole tablet before food and antiallergic montelukast levocetrizine tablet. Please review if you have any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng