i have a 6 year old son with allergies and

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: i have a 6 year old son with allergies and gave him 12 hr kids allegra liquid. hes not used to much drugs but has a terrible cough. my question is it it safe to give him 12 hour delsum for cough with it? getting close to his bed time. any interactions or adverse affects or is that too much for a six year old. im overly caustious. thank you
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. There are no interactions between the allegra and delsym, so there should not be any problems there. However, we typically don't recommend over the counter medications like delsym for a 6 year old, the evidence has shown that it doesn't help much, and there can be side effects. Instead of this, you can try and we would recommend using some honey, you can use a teaspoon mixed in with juice or tea, and this is a safe way to treat the cough.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T