i currently take .5mg of Klonopin a day for painc

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: i currently take .5mg of Klonopin a day for painc disorder. i also have flexeril i havent had in a while but its as needed for spasms and i take the 5mg. Dr. can i safely take these two together and is there any adverse side effects? thank you!
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Klonopin and flexeril both cause sedation and drowsiness

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.

Klonopin and flexeril both cause sedation and drowsiness, and so it is recommended that you be monitored closely. However, the doses of both medications that you are taking are relatively small, and so I wouldn't expect there to be any serious problems.
However, especially if you haven't taken this combination before, it would be a good idea to take them when you are not planning to drive or do anything else that will require you to be alert, to see how the combination will affect you. You should also avoid taking any other drug that might increase the sedation, such as alcohol.

I should also make sure to tell you that you should let your doctor know you are taking both of these medications if they do not already know.

I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj