i been experiencing a lot of face pressure and pressure

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i been experiencing a lot of face pressure and pressure behind my eye, for a few months now. the ENT wants to do a balloon septoplasty but im scared pf one of the side effects empty nose syndrome. i just wanted to know could it be sinusitis even though i can breathe from my nose? The doctor said i have blocked sinuses. please help just need some clarity
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
congestion of the nose- rhinitis, sinus congestion- sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The sinuses are spaces that are found in the face- there are 4- the frontal sinuses by the forehead, the maxillary by the cheek, the ethmoid sinuses and the sphenoid sinuses- these are not as easily examined as the frontal and maxillary.

As you know inflammation of these sinuses is called sinusitis. It can be combined, in many persons with inflammation of the nose- called rhinitis.

The combination is rhinosinusitis.

Blockage of the nose (rhinitis) may not necessarily occur with blockage of the sinuses (sinusitis) or vice versa.

There are different surgical techniques for sinus disease but it is estimated that over 800 000 according to Medscape medical professional website (article Balloon Sinuplasty) require surgery for sinuses every year.

The per sinus (for each sinus) major complication rate for balloon sinuplasty is 0.0035% approximately according to an article published in 2016 in an ENT medical journal (Acta Laryngologica)
This gives a rate of complications of approximately 3 to 4 out of 1000 or more

THis means that the chances of any issues with you is small.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions