question-icon

i am currently taking amoxicillin for a sinus infection anything

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019
Question: i am currently taking
amoxicillin for a sinus infection anything else you can recommend to safely take to alleviate the congestion in my head and ears ?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
A few additional suggestions to go along with this...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

If there is any fever, pain/aches, you should take Acetaminophen/Tylenol 650mg three times daily after some food for the next few days...

-Start doing Chlorhexidine gargle twice daily and lukewarm saline gargle twice daily in an alternate fashion...avoid going to any overcrowded places, for the time being, perhaps use a face mask while going out...

-Take some steam inhalation twice to thrice daily, it'll help to ease the associated symptoms to some extent and clear the secretions/drainage...

-Avoid any form of cold-drinks, dairy products and sour foods as they can further aggravate this situation...

-Please drink a lot of fluids. Have plenty of warm liquids (soups, broth, porridge etc.), they'll act as an immunity booster and fasten the recovery.

With all these, you should be feeling better within a matter of time...However, if there's persistence beyond a few days, then you should get it checked up by a physician as there may be a need to start prescription based combination antibiotics (instead of Amoxicillin alone) and decongestant therapy (generally, in my patients I'd advice Sudafed as a decongestant and antibiotic Co-Amoxiclav twice daily for 5-7days)...

Let me know if I can assist you further...
Wish you good health...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist