question-icon

how long does it take ( i know it differs

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2019
Question: how long does it take ( i know it differs from person to person , but on average generally) for one person with mild dementia (that only has trouble remembering some words no cognitive decline) to have moderate dementia
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
By evidence-based practice this period can be from five to ten years.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Dementia is a medical condition which is characterized mainly by memory loos.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm the time that is needed to pass from mild dementia to moderate dementia.

There are many factors that influence this process such as age and nutritional deficiency, thyroid hormones.

There are many examinations that can be done to give us an idea of the progress of dementia in time.

By evidence-based practice, this period can be from five to ten years.

I would recommend an evaluation by a neurologist.

A good nutrition, vitamin supplements and the support by family members has a very good influence in this process.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi