hi, what is the cure for PCOD?
The treatment depends on severity of problem.
Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns.
PCOD is an endocrine condition in which there is high LH/FSH ratio,increased androgen production and high oestrone levels. It is usually associated with abnormal hair growth , obesity , menstrual disturbances and infertility.
Diagnosis is done by ultrasound , transvaginal , transabdominal or 3D and there should be at least 10-12 follicles 2-10 mm in diameter or increased ovarian volume.This is called 'pearl string appearance'.
Investigations which are done to diagnose PCOD are FSH , LH , Prolactin , DHEA's etc under doctor's guidance.
When BMI is more than 30 kg/m2 it is called obesity.
Treatment includes lifestyle modification in which weight reduction and diet plays an important role.
Metformin drug is widely used for the treatment of PCOD but should not be taken without doctor's guidance. PCOD is a difficult to treat problem but you can try certain supplements like myo-inositol and pyridoxine. There is a preparation called fertisure - F, it is very good and if taken for 3 months improves egg quality a lot.
Low dose oral contarceptives and progesterone are also given for menstrual irregularities. But the periods again become irregular after the pills are stopped if hormonal disturbance is not treated.
Ovulation induction drugs are given for infertility.
Some doctor's prefer laparoscopic ovarian drilling but chances of adhesions are there.
For hirsuitism laser , waxing or chemical depilation can be done.
To conclude , PCOD is a very common metabolic disorder these days and is due to western life style and inactivity , can be controlled with proper food , exercise , medical and surgical treatment under doctor's guidance.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sex after candid v3 treatment
- What causes breasts to shrink and invert nipples?
- What should i do for chest infection and high BP ?
- What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?
- Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart...
- Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?
- Late menstrual cycle, negative pregnancy test, laparoscopy
- Are there any side effects of abortion pills ? How long will it take to...
- Cut caffeine, low BP, frequent bloating, extreme fatigue, slight pain in...
- What post surgical care is needed following a spinal cord stimulator...