hi there. i have pretty intense PVCs and years ago

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: hi there.

i have pretty intense PVCs and years ago (maybe 20) i remember having a treadmill test, holter monitor and a nuclear test where XXXXXXX was injected and i was scanned by some machine...

would that have detected if i had a hole in my heart or thickened muscles or malfunctioning valves?

my pvcs get bad sometimes... do you think all those tests should be repeated? and whats the difference between PVCs and a-fib?

thanks
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PVCs and a fib have different origin of the arrhythmia, I recommend repeating the examinations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I have already reviewed the examinations that you have already done .

These examinations can give information about cardiac activity and are more used to diagnose heart rate and rhythm.

To confirm the presence of an atrial septal defect which is a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of your heart, an echo-cardiogram is needed.

PCVs are extra heartbeats that begin in the ventricles. This diagnosis can be confirmed through electrocardiogram and maintained under control through Holter monitor.

So I would recommend you to repeat these examinations.

Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that occurs in the atria which are the two upper chambers of the heart.

So PCVs and a fib have different origin of the arrhythmia.

Both of these diagnosis can be diagnosed and maintained under control through the Holter monitor and electrocardiogram.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T