hi, please excuse the photo but Ive had this on
Kindly asked some more information related to the problem
Thank you for asking at "Ask a Doctor" service.
I went through your query and reviewed the uploaded picture.
- Are you referring to the dark brown area at the edge of the nail?
- Has it been mo ing during this time from the bottom of the nail to the top or did it start where it is now and did not move up with the growth of the nail?
- Any other complaints there, pian or itchiness?
- Have you had any trauma locally?
Please let me know of the above, it will help better determine the cause and further steps.
Waiting to hear from you.
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj,
General and Family Physician
Two possible causes explained and further steps
No problems for the delay. Thank you for the information provided.
There are two main things to consider in this case.
One is hemorrhage or bleeding under the nail bed which may be due to trauma and there is nothing to worry about it. Generally, in this case when you cut the nails, the nail is red in the inner surface (has red deposits) due to the bleeding drying out and sticking to the nail and there is also the same thing on the exposed area of the nail-bed after you cut the nail (red deposits that can easily be cleaned).
The other cause, even though it is very rare, is melanoma, a skin tumor. It generally remains in one place (does not migrate towards the edge of the nail as bleeding does) but may grow with time.
In your case, I would say that because the spot has been there for more than 1-2 months it might be safer to have a visit with your doctor to determine which of the two is the cause here.
Hope I answered your query, let me know if I can assist you further.
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- is it hpv?
- I am 77 years old and one breast is very
- I felt a sudden sharp pain in my inside wrist
- Is there a sleeping aid that I can use with
- Hi, I have been having acne problems for the past
- Can you look at the results of a stool test
- Hi my names is Isabel I’m 24 years old and
- I have had bladder infection after bladder infection on going
- Where can I find a doctor who will test and
- Feeling weak for about a week ! Why ?