Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

hi, i have iritating pain in my penis for 4

Answered by
Dr. Aaron Branch

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 385 Questions

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi,

i have iritating pain in my penis for 4 days and it doesnt seem to me going away
1) near the head
2) inside, feel like is on the %E2%80%9Ctube%E2%80%9D
3) not extreme painful, just iritated
4) dont feel any pain or itch when urinate
5) felt the urge of urinate more frequent (maybe)
6) did not have any wrong sex activity
7) seems to me i started to feel the pain after my basketball game.. could it possible ?

please afviae
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection would be the most common cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. The pain you are describing is most commonly due to an infection, and if you are sexually active, would most commonly be due to a sexually transmitted disease. If that is not possible, the urethra can also be irritated by chemicals in soaps, or by trauma (sometimes with masterbation). But if you have any sexual contact at all, I would get tested for STDs first, with a urine test they can also check for other causes of infection. If those tests are negative, then I would suspect a reaction to a soap or something else you are using on your penis, or from trauma. In these cases, you should avoid any chemicals and trauma around the penis, and the pain should resolve over the next week or two.

I don't believe your basketball game could have caused this, unless you had some trauma to that area during the game.

I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions or want me to explain anything in more detail, I would be happy to do so.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 48 minutes later
Thank you for your input. What should I pay attention to during my recovery? Signs indicate that I should go hospital? Anything I should take to make it go away faster?

Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the cause

Detailed Answer:
It depends on the cause. If the cause is infectious, then you will need antibiotics, if it is not, you can try a medication called Phenazopyridine, sold in the US as Baridium, Pyridium, or Urinary Pain Relief over the counter, this helps with pain related to the urethra.

For either cause, if you start having severe pain, fever, or are having trouble getting urine out, those would be the major reasons to seek urgent medical attention.

I hope that answers your questions, please let me know if you have any others.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on