hi, i am a 33 year old XXXXXXX Male. i

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi, i am a 33 year old XXXXXXX Male. i am sexually active and recently i have developed 2 pea size lumps on my outer skin in the groin area. there is no discharge or pain or itching.

i am concerned that they may be warts due to HPV infection. they are not causing any discomfort as of now. is there any OTC ointment or cream that could treat it? Also, can it be anything other than HPV?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding groin lumps

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to ask a doctor service.
I have read your query and viewed the image.

I can see 2 smooth appearing, fleshy lumps. Could be a simple bacterial skin infection (furuncle) but that is usually painful, therefore, I would like to rule out condylomata XXXXXXX (syphilis). HPV is a possibility too. Kindly do screening test syphilis i.e VDRL.

Also, I request you to kindly upload a few more good quality images of the affected area so that I am able to have a better look.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
hello doctor,

the lumps first appeared in October 2018 and i got tested for HIV and syphilis in November 2018. Both came out negative.

both the lumps have been around 3 months now without any discomfort, but since yesterday, the upper lump has turned slightly reddish and i can feel a mild pain upon touching.
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
hello doctor,

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Molliscum contagiosum

Detailed Answer:
thank you.

They seem like Molluscum Contagiosum (MC) and one of them is red, inflamed which suggests that it has got infected. Genital MC is an STD. Firstly, I suggest a week of oral antibiotics e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin for a few days. Once the redness and pain subsides then these Genital MC lesions need to be removed by either cautery or needle extraction.

take care
let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
thank you doctor!

Do you also suggest any external cream tht could be applied on the lesions? How much time would they take to go away on their own? also, do they require any further investigation?

thanks!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

They need to be removed because they seem quite big. Cryotherapy (liquid nitrogen spary) is another option apart from cautery. Since you already have been investigated for HIV and syphilis you don't need to retest if your last risk exposure was 3 months before testing. Otherwise you need to retest. You also need to screen for (HSV) Herpes.

take care
let me know if you need any more
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D