hi, first of all I am European so excuse the

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi, first of all I am European so excuse the mistakes in here
I woke up this morning and couldn't move my legs my husband had to help me out of bed its night time now and I couldn't move much during the day
I have fibromyalgia ,CFS, spinal stenosis and at this time I have a herniated disc in lower back I also have arthritis ,diabetes and a spur on my left foot where I know I need surgery I also know that it don`t have anything to do with my legs I think that it comes from my lower back it was very painful for the last couple days for the last 2 days I have a feeling of needles in my left foot I thought it came from fibromyalgia I have problems every winter when it gets cold but I`m not so sure so I ask you
thank you very much for your time and your answer
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This seems to be affecting nerves and not muscles

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Feeling of needles in left foot, inability to move both legs at same time and bad pain in lower back, it is suggesting towards paraplegia. Paraplegia means paralysis of lower legs. Most probably there was some spinal cord innjury between L1 and L2. I would rush to doctor rightaway for medical help. An urgent MRI would be needed. If anatomical cause like abscess etc is there then surgical correction might save your lower leg movements.

Fibromyalgia doesnot present with paraplegia. The following link has a case report of a patient presenting with paraplegia due to chronic arachnoiditis but was falsely labeled in past as fibromyalgia. This is one possibility of "fibromyalgia" presenting with paraplegia.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you futher.
Dr Vaishalee