hi doctor I have had asthma for few years but

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: hi doctor
I have had asthma for few years but after latest lung function test I was told obstruction was medium not mild so I now have asthma and copd mixed. will my test be affected by a virus. I had one around time I took test and had a croaky voice. I was not coughing much or out of breath though
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please read the following

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to 'Ask A Doctor'

I can understand your concern

According to the history you provide, yes a viral situation might decrease the lung function volumes from mild to medium. It is a common finding in our daily clinical routine.

If I were your treating doctor I will recommend you based in your history to do a chest X-ray and a blood test such as CRP to exclude superimposed bacterial infection. If the results are positive than an antibiotic is needed (Clarithromycin twice for one week) and a nebulizer with steroids such as Budesonide twice for one week might be added too.

Then after the treatment, the spirometry test should be repeated.

But please first discuss with your doctor for the above

I hope to have been helpful

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana