hi doctor I have had asthma for few years but
I have had asthma for few years but after latest lung function test I was told obstruction was medium not mild so I now have asthma and copd mixed. will my test be affected by a virus. I had one around time I took test and had a croaky voice. I was not coughing much or out of breath though
Please read the following
Hello and welcome to 'Ask A Doctor'
I can understand your concern
According to the history you provide, yes a viral situation might decrease the lung function volumes from mild to medium. It is a common finding in our daily clinical routine.
If I were your treating doctor I will recommend you based in your history to do a chest X-ray and a blood test such as CRP to exclude superimposed bacterial infection. If the results are positive than an antibiotic is needed (Clarithromycin twice for one week) and a nebulizer with steroids such as Budesonide twice for one week might be added too.
Then after the treatment, the spirometry test should be repeated.
But please first discuss with your doctor for the above
I hope to have been helpful
Regards and feel free to ask me again
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Are pulmonary function tests advisable for diagnosing COPD?
- Suggest natural remedies for insomnia
- Suggest treatment for COPD in an elderly person
- Suggest treatment for pain in the ribs
- What causes cold while on Dextromethorphan?
- What causes constant pain in the ribs after injury?
- Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the lungs
- Suggest treatment for dry cough and pain in the ribs
- What causes fever and crackling sound in the cough?
- What causes frequent urination along with zits on the chest and face?