Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

121 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

hi doc I got myself hooked on pain pills after

Answered by
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3565 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi doc

I got myself hooked on pain pills after I had a tricep reattachment operation I am a 42 year old bodybuilder I do cycle steroids on and off in a safe blood tested way. I went to subonex doc 12 monthe ago and he hjad me take 16 mg per day. I had some awfulside effects from it being back pain and shortness of breath making it hard for me to workout lately I have cut down dosage to 8mg per day I how should I taper off of this subonex and do the roids have any effect for the subonex???? thanks
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
please clarify

Detailed Answer:

I've been trying to find information about "subonex" but there is no such FDA approved drug. Perhaps you've mispelled it... please clarify. If you're talking about the drug that contains buprenorphine or buprenorphine/naloxone (subutex, suboxone) then please keep in mind that tapering opioids requires medical supervision, so this is not something you should try without your doctor's supervision and consent.

For most patients the best approach is to go for a moderate duration of tapering which is usually between 10-14 days. The dose of buprenorphine should be tapered by 2mg every 2-3 days. There are shorter and longer programs for tapering. The doctor should modify the program according to the patient's needs and response.

So in conclusion, make sure your doctor supervises the whole procedure and discuss the best approach for your particular case.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on