hi I was having severe fever cough from past one

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi I was having severe fever cough from past one week. I used dolo 650 along with grillingtus curup for about four times a day and moxikimd CV 625 as two times a day. and I replaced grillingtus with Benadryl cough formula from past one day. now fever seems to be under control but cough is still troubling me especially with the phelm accumulated in the throwght which won't come out but disturbs be with every cough as if something of phelm gets out with every cough and it's very disturbing. can you please suggest what can I do about this? p.s I got myself tested for maleria and platelates count and doctor mentioned that it must have been a viral fever.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post-nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms are more likely suggestive of post nasal drip which is quite common after a bout of fever. It can happen because the phlegm is accumulated in the sinuses and airway irritation is also there.
Generally it will settle by itself without any complications in ten to fourteen days.
As of now you can take NAC( N-acetyl cysteine) to clear mucus. Steam inhalation is also usurp clear mucus and open up the closed sinuses.
You can use codeine containing cough syrups to suppress the cough.
If symptoms persist you can consult a physician and plan for an X-ray. In that case you might require antibiotics like levoflox which is more specific for chest infection.
Wishing all the best.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj