Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

170 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

hi, I have been having some upper abdominal pain and

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 2027 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi, I have been having some upper abdominal pain and some paresthesias that my gasterenterologist diagnosed as IBS-C. However, the medications the doctors gave me don't really work and I am still having problems. Over Christmas I was exercising by riding my bike, and I have been having severe abdominal pain in the upper right hand quadrant along with constipation and bad headaches. My GP thought I pulled a muscle, but I disagreed.

I asked the doctor if it could be vascular and he said no. However, I recently took a D dimer test on my own dime and got a positive result. The result was D-Dimer 0.64 High mg/L FEU with a range of 0.00 - 0.49. I am 48. Could I have a blood clot in my abdomen? Should I be worried? What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A CT scan of abdomen should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service for your query,
Have gone through your query,
Answers are-
The test D dimer is screening test used to exclude pulmonary embolism (PE) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT) by cardiologist.Secondly as it is a screening test it has low sensitivity.Thirdly it is not usually used by gastroenterologist to rule out abdominal conditions.This test is meant for cardiology primararily however even if we consider your case D dimer is just marginally elevated which has no clinical significance.
If you have a clot in your abdomen it needs proper testing.
A CT abdomen should be done to rule out presence of clot or not.Using D dimer for abdomen is just like using car gas to fly jet.
Go for a CT abdomen test and things would be clear.However clinically I don't think it's a clot because clot in abdomen causes ischemia(cut off blood supply) which results in very severe abdominal pain(usually needs hospitalisation).It's emergency condition.
You should not panic.
Go for a planned CT abdomen test and things would be clear.

In case you need details about IBS treatment or have any further query feel free to follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on