hi I had an episode of insertive oral sex with

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi I had an episode of insertive oral sex with a woman and did the following tests: 39 days duo test (value 0.12) nonreactive 42 days cmia hiv1/2 antibody test nonreactive 44 days duo test (value 0.15) nonreactive 49 days cmia hiv1/2 antibody test nonreactive 51 days duo test (value 0.15) nonreactive can you please help? what are the values about?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV 1 infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV as per CDC, XXXXXXX
Window period for HIV antibody test is around 6-8 weeks after the exposure and may be delayed up to 12 weeks.
Antigen part of the HIV DUO test would be conclusive by 3-4 weeks after the exposure. So as per your test reports, you are free from HIV 1 infection.
Nothing to worry
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 36 hours later
but since I did my duo tests well after 3-4 weeks, does that not compromise the results? what do the values 0.12 and twice 0.15 mean?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV 1 infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
HIV DUO test (4th generation test) has two different parts and so called as DUO.
1. P24 Antigen detection part: This can be considered conclusive by 3-4 weeks after the risky activity as far as HIV 1 detection. This P24 antigen part can detect only the HIV 1 antigen and not the HIV 2.
2. HIV 1 &2 Antibody detection part: This can be considered conclusive only after the completion of window period and not early. But this part can detect or rule out both HIV 1 and 2,
Now I hope that you would have understood your position.
You need to bother about whether it is reactive or nonreactive. Not necessary to bother about the values of the tests. Any values below the control or referral values is considered as nonreactive. These values have no clinical importance.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
the public health of England advises a repeat duo test at 8 weeks as per extract attached. do you think I need retest?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The risk of HIV 2 infection through oral contact is remote.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
As I had mentioned earlier, P24 antigen part of the test can detect only HIV 1 infection and not HIV 2 infection. But the prevalence of HIV 2 infection except in few XXXXXXX COUNTRIES is less than 0.5%. Widow period for HIV antibody test is up to 8 weeks and rarely extends up to 12 weeks in some individuals. So only it had been mentioned to get a more confirmatory test report, repeat the test after 8 weeks. HIV 2 infection through oral contact alone not seemed to be reported. So you don't need to repeat the test.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana