hi I am concerned about my blood pressure. it has

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi I am concerned about my blood pressure. it has been in the normal range for the most part of my life. lately I have felt my heart beating a little faster, usually at night trying to sleep. also start to worry about my work and family. i just took my bp and it was 167/97. but i was feeling very nervous to take it. I will take it daily for a week to see the change. this feeling goes away during the day. I have paid attention to my salt intake, and have made a big difference with not using it. I work out regularly , weigh 155 and 5'6". up to date I have been very healthy. I eat mostly vegetables and poultry, make my own food regularly. drink wine moderately -maybe one night during the week, and weekends. (2-3 glasses weekends). is this an immediate concern?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it’s not an emergency

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma’am

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that as we age our blood pressure goes slightly high due to the increasing stiffness in our blood vessels also when we are under stress or we are anxious the sympathetic drive of a body increases which ultimately increases the blood pressure.

Reducing salt intake in your diet is a good measure to control blood pressure but if you don’t take salt that would also ultimately leads to weakness of the muscles because salt is required for the proper functioning of our muscles so I would like to suggest you to cut down the salt intake and not to stop it completely.

Yes it’s a matter of concern but there is no immediate concern or emergency. Healthy Lifestyle modifications including daily morning walks, low salt diet, no smoking, healthy diet will help you keep your bp within normal range.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 33 minutes later
thank you, and now that I know its not an emergency I am calmer already...: )
I haven't completely given up salt. do you think the muscle relaxer that Im taking has anything to do this?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Good to know that you haven’t given up salt completely.

No muscle relaxers has nothing to do with bp.

I hope this information will answer your query. In case in future if you want any assistance from me just mention my name in your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 9 hours later
Thank you, Dr Partap, I will ask for you.
Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Appreciate it

Your welcome

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee