hi I am 65 years old. and on a routine

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Mon, 18 Feb 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi I am 65 years old. and on a routine health checkup it is observed that the uterus and overies are atropic.
actually abdominal body scanning report shows this. But i do not have any problems till now except that I am not able to hold urine for a long time. Do I need to take any medication ?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is an age related change probably.

Detailed Answer:

“ Atrophic” is a medical term used to signify a structure shrunken in its size and function. In your case the ovaries and uterus is atrophied or shrunken. This is usually seen in with have attained menopause. It is becaus lack of hormones especially estrogen in the post menopausal stage. It is not a disease condition and does not require defenite treatment. However if you develop symptoms like bleeding ( vaginal bleeding) or abdominal or significant weight loss, then detailed evaluation is required.

Coming to your urinary problems, It’s seems like a condition called “urge incontinence”. It can be also age related changes in your urinary system like impaired bladder contractility or over activity of detrusor.

If it is symptomatic enough to impair your daily activities, it is better to go for urodynamic studies to find out the exact cause. Kegel exercises can help.

Wishing all the best.
THANKS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj