question-icon

hi I am 57years old.Have been chewing tobacco snuff for

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019
Question: hi I am 57years old.Have been chewing tobacco snuff for 36 years.I haven't been emptying my bladder for years.Went to urologist and when he saw image of how much urine my bladder has been holding he had me on foley catherer immediately,Since recently removed I cannot pee.Only a dribble in past 5 days.Someone recently told me I should research the vagus nerve.I feel my years of chewing tobacco has affected this nerve.My urologist said NO.I disagree with him.I will Quit chewing tobacco NOW.Thanks
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
I agree with your urologist that the vagus nerve would not be likely to cause any problems with bladder function. The vagus nerve has many functions, including regulating your heart, acid production in your stomach, as well as speech and mouth movements.

It does not play a significant role in bladder function as this is regulated by nerves lower down in the spinal cord.

In addition, chewing tobacco would be unlikely to cause significant nerve damage. It is more likely that your bladder issues are being caused by a prostate issue or possibly from a nerve problem in your lower spinal cord.

However, quitting tobacco is always advisable, so I'd also encourage you to do so.

I hope that helps to answer your question.
Please let me know if you have any other questions...
I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Aaron Branch