hi Doctor, I am brestfeeding my 3 month old baby
No need to worry
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.
Firstly, you are suffering from malaria and therefore need to be given antimalarials. Artemether and lumefantrine have not been studied in nursing mothers. Howevver, estimates of its excretion into breastmilk indicate that amounts in milk are very low. You therefore have no reason to worry and can continue to breastfeed while on medication.
Regarding your sore throat, it can be caused due to some viruses like Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) (causes mono), or some bacteria like Streptococcus (causes Strep throat). Irrespective of the cause, all you need to do is to gurgle with lukewarm water and recovery will occur in a week or so. If bacterial infection is suspected, antibiotics might need to be given. In that case, the choice of antibiotic will determine whether it can affect the child. You have not mentioned the name. Let me know the name and I will guide you accordingly. However, based on the mentioned dose (i.e. the antibiotics for which the dose can be 1g), I do not think that there is any reason to worry and you may continue to breast feed while on medication.
In case of nebulization, very little amount of the medication actually enters the blood steam and far lesser amount enters the breast milk. So, there is no reason to worry abot this.
You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.
Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever