hello doctor, what is maximum window period for hiv. I
You are free from HIV Infection.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
Window period for HIV is 6-8 weeks after the exposure and may be extended up to 12 weeks. In very rare instance, if the individual is on immunosuppressive drugs or in situations, PEP started and discontinued before completion, seroconversion can be delayed up to 6 months.
HIV 4th generation combo /duo test is reliable up to 99%. When the repeated tests are Non-reactive, then the reliability is almost 100 %.
In case, if the individual is infected, the symptoms may be delayed to appear even after 10 years. But it is not true, that sero conversion can be delayed more than 6 months after the exposure.
In your case, you are absolutely free from HIV Infection and can get married without any hesitation.
Dr S Murugan
hiv/253657?iL=true" >AIDS Symptoms occur only when the immunity goes down beyond critical level.
First of all stop referring online references. All unauthorized information will confuse further.
If anybody or doctors told HIV window period as 10 years then they don't know anything about HIV. In MBBS curriculum, the subject on HIV is not given adequate importance, so they have poor knowledge about HIV. The concepts about HIV is going on changing especially with treatment and monitoring aspects, so one should keep on updating himself , then only he will be able to answer all questions.
HIV can remain dormant in tissue cells and not amenable for ART drugs, that is why we may not be able to achieve a complete cure... But it does not mean that virus present only in deeper cells and not in blood. It will first invade blood cells and also certain tissue cells. So sero-conversion would be affected on any situations.
In HIV infection, the symptoms is not caused by the virus in most situation. Symptoms caused by the immune deficiency caused by the virus in the long run as they destroyed the important cells responsible for human immunity against infections.When the immunity going to alarming level, the individual starts manifestations due to opportunistic and secondary infections. It varies with individual to individual. Body loose in the battle against virus elimination and start manifestations.
There is no situation that body can not produce antibodies against any organism; so, the negative test after 3 months means there is no organism. That is all.
Don't postpone your marriage due to this reason. You are free from HIV infection.
You are most welcome.
I am happy to hear from you.
You are welcome. Advance wishes for your happy married life.
Avoid unprotected sex out of marriage in future.
Have a great day.
Dr S Murugan
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?
- Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...
- Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure
- Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...
- Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...
- Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis
- Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...
- Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...
- Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....
- How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...