hello doctor i have been feeling weak legs, numbness and

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2018 in Back Pain
Question: hello doctor

i have been feeling weak legs, numbness and tingling sensation in my legs since last night and i was not able to sleep because of this unusual symptom. numbness is mostly in my ankle and calf and when i sit i can feel weakness in my inner thighs clearly.
I had a long day yesterday at office and was sitting almost the whole day with only few minutes of gap in between. could this be the reason?

i tried few back exercise and leg exercise but i do not have any relief.

i do not have any obvious back ache symptoms.

can you please suggest if any tests or treatment is required if the condition is serious?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be pressure on the spinal cord or inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have gone through the symptoms -sudden onset tingling and numbness in legs ,coupled with weakness on sitting indicates some acute pathology in the spinal cord.
The problem could be slipped disc causing pressure on the spinal cord or there is inflammation of the spinal cord.
I suggest Complete bed rest and MRI of Lumbo sacral spine ASAP. If the weakness increases , please get admitted in a big hospital.
You can start pain killers and muscle relaxants while waiting for MRI.
Hope to hear soon with MRI report.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 8 hours later
hello doctor

thank you for the response.

as advised, i did get my LSS MRI done and there are no evidence of slip disc or hernia nor any abnormalities noted either in lumbar spine or cervical spine excelt a minimal disc bulg at L4 L5.

I am still having numbness in my arms and legs but much better compared to last night and today morning.

Please find my attached reports. can you please suggest if i need to get any other tests done or if i need to take any medicine?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pl see below

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen the films and reports of MRI.
Your MRI is near normal and no signs of compression.
Your feeling better is also a good sign.
I would suggest you get Serum Vitamin D3 and B12 levels and let me know.
If every report is normal , then I will need detailed examination.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad