question-icon

hello, Ive had traces of glucose in my urine using

Posted on Thu, 21 Feb 2019
Question: hello, Ive had traces of glucose in my urine using a dipstick sometimes its there sometimes it isnt. ive had the blood glucose fasting and monthly blood sugar checks by blood and the HbA1c test. however have done the fasting glucose drink test and my sugars were high after 2 hours (i think 8?) ive been trying to cut some sugar out of my diet and do some smoothies. sometimes ive gone to do a bgl and its been 6.7. just wondering whats happening here, have been told its pre diabetes and they are only going to check the sugar drink test yearly. thanks for your input. Laila.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
About prediabetes diagnosis;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

As you didn't mention any exact value of the fasting and postprandial blood sugar, I would like to inform you that prediabetes is diagnosed if:
-There are 2 fasting glucose from 110-125 mg/dl
-Two values of 2 hours after food glucose from 140-200 mg/ dl.
-HbA1c under 6.4%.

Over these values, it is not prediabetes anymore but is Diabetes.

Sugar in urine is present when the blood sugar is over 180 mg/dl.

I hope this clarifies now about prediabetes and Diabetes diagnosis.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best wishes,
Dr. Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist