question-icon

hello , As i was blowing my nose yesterday i

Posted on Sat, 30 Mar 2019
Question: hello ,
As i was blowing my nose yesterday i found blood in the mucus i blowed from my nose. i blew my now nose three times yesterday all the three times i had blood in the mucus . The blood is along with the mucus lately what i noticed i found nasal drip coming into my mouth , when i am spitting that nasal drip from mouth i also found blood in that nasal drip mucus as well . yesterday i took motelukast as a result today my nose is not blocked so its clear so i did not have a chance to blow my nose and check today.
but today i was having post nasal dip flowing into mouth all of which was bloody . is this a sign of HIV ?
what could have caused this problem. I have no other health , should i go for any blood work ? iam scared

.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Hii. You are having allergic rhinosinusitis for which you are having blood

Detailed Answer:
Hii. You are having allergic rhinosinusitis for which you are having blood in mucus. Start nasal fluticasone spray,steam inhalation through nose. Continue montelukast levocetrizine tablet. Stay away from cold,dust. Clean bedsheets, pillow cover twice weekly. Do nasal breathing exercises. This is not specific for HIV. You can have routine blood tests. If you want to know your HIV status do Elisa HIV test.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rajat Basak (25 hours later)
So are sinusitis and rhinisinusitis same.
What are the reasons for that. I am not allergic to anything . So it must not be allergic, it is not from nose alone my nasal drip too, nasal drip from the nasopharynx that comes into mouth and from spitting through mouth is also bloody, can this also be a sign of rhinisinusitis? How to stop it permanently , and I stay in South so there is no chance of cold place.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Hii. It's evident from your symptoms that you are having rhinosinusitis. It

Detailed Answer:
Hii. It's evident from your symptoms that you are having rhinosinusitis. It may be allergic or infective,the most common is allergic rhinosinusitis. There are many allergens in nature. You can have allergen skin test to know the particular allergen. The mucus from the sinuses come out of the nasal cavity through the nasopharynx to the back of the oral cavity. Allergy is inherent,by birth. Allergy can never be completely treated. It can be decreased by increasing the body immunity. Do yoga or moderate exercise. Do nasal breathing exercises. Maintain hygiene. Clean bed sheet,pillow cover thrice a week.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist