having issues with neck and shoulder stinging and burning. Physical

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: having issues with neck and shoulder stinging and burning. Physical therapist suggested seeing neurologist. Neurologist said no Parkinsons. Rcomends mri. He did nerve response tests. toes had no response and couldn't walk a strait line. Will see GP tomorrow for lots of blood test. Have also had trouble swallowing and inhaling bits of food a few times.I do feel better about shoulder after PT. I'm wondering if I should reject mri scaan and wait to see what happesns. Symptoms started one week after visiting Kenya for two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The MRI needs to be done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through your query. It is apparent that the NCV (nerve conduction velocity) test indicates some problem. The problem could be central or peripheral. The MRI (of brain as well as screening of whole spine) will help in detecting the central cause. A blood Vitamin B12 level or blood sugar level could hold clues to the peripheral causes. You definitely need to proceed with the MRI scan and should not reject it. Probably some compressive myelopathy is at play.

I would request you not to ignore it. Uploading the NCV report will be helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj