Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

have pea size lump over the shaft of penis. Not itchy. Ointment to remove it?

Answered by
Dr. Ashish Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1856 Questions

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: I have what seems like less than pea size lump over the shaft of my penis ... this has developed in past 2-3 months.. doesnt pain ... no itching ... is there any ointment i can use for the removal
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later
Thanks for your query.

From your description it appear that you probably have Molluscum contagiosum. It is caused by viral infection of skin by virus. It is usually a dome-shaped, pink, waxy papules that are 2-5 mm in diameter with pitting/dimple/umblication on top.

In your case diagnosis need to be confirmed. You can show it to some dermatologist for final diagnosis. You can also search its picture on net to match it with your lesion.

It is a STI (sexually transmitted infection), which can occur due to unprotected intercourse. You should get tests like:
HIV Eliasa, VDRL, Complete blood count

Infection used to cause anxiety in infected person. But do not worry. It is self limiting problem and in most of the cases lesions disappear in 12-24 months.

Molluscum contagiosum in the genital region should be treated to prevent further spread through sexual transmission. Following steps will help you:
-Take healthy diet and multivitamins daily to increase your immunity.
Following treatments are options but should be delivered by specialist only.
-Podofilox: a purified form of the main ingredient in podophyllin (an agent that causes skin to loosen and fall off) may be used as it is frequently prescribed for genital warts. Usually, 0.05 ml of 5% podofilox is applied twice daily for three days.
-Cryotherapy: killing the virus by freezing the papules with dry ice or liquid nitrogen
-Salicylic acid
-Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 26 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
As per your recommendations i checked the pictures over the net. but what i have doesnt seem to be Molluscum contagiosum. I clicked few pictures which i would like to share so i uploaded few pictures .. kindly go through them and see if u can get a better idea .. as the lump of skin seem to be dead skin and not painful at all ..
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 17 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes, from pics it is not Molluscum contagiosum. It is a fungating growth, which usually occur in cancer and human papiloma virus infection.

You should visit surgeon as soon as possible for biopsy of the tissue to rule out presence of cancer.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Poxviruses

doctor1 MD

Hi I noticed two small bumps around my anus when going to the bathroom. I popped them and they started to bleed when I took a look at them I noticed they had a white core. Is this a clear indication of Molluscum Contagiosum or some kind of warts. After they were popped the white cores where very small about the size of a tip of a pen

doctor1 MD

hi my 3 yr old has some white pimple like things on her outer elbow. no itch, no fluid, no redness. and only on one arm. what are these and shd we be doing something about it? she was diagnosed as having molluscum contagiosum 6 mths ago, but the rashes looked quite different.

doctor1 MD

I'm pretty sure i have molluscum contagiosum on my penis. i've started to use salicylic acid on it as of yesterday. to early to tell if it is working but i have noticed that around the papules my skin is darkening where the salicylic acid was applied. will this dissapear after i am done using it?

doctor1 MD

I have small red spots on my shoulders, when pressed under a glass or have pressure on them they dissappear for a few seconds. They do not come out of the skin, they are only marks. I have had them for approximately a year. I can t find a way to pop them. I Googled and found Molluscum Contagiosum, however upon further research I have found this is not the case.

doctor1 MD

I talked to a doctor about a month ago and he told me that I have STI. I recently realized that I have like 3 bumps on top of my penis, and it looks like one of my veins on top of my penis is swollen what can this mean?

doctor1 MD

some red pimple or allargy grown out side of penis doctor refer to use me to use Imiquimod cream . i want to know cause & remedy . i visited to doctor he obserbed & write Imiquimod cream & hizide-z capusle only

doctor1 MD

I went to clinic and doc told me i have molluscum and that it will eventually go away. I want to treat it now. Its gross on my hand. What can i do?