Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

have occasional flat dark red irregular shaped spots on arm. Had shingles. Reoccurring?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Occasional flat dark red irregular shaped spots on my right arm...had them during a severe bout of itching or pain with these...they go away relatively YYYY@YYYY

I suspect the shingles is not entirely gone...had shingles for 7 horrid months...Not raised spots

thank you..XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX
Let me start first by clearing up facts. Shingles (herpes zoster) is a painful, blistering skin rash (red patches on the skin, followed by small blisters) due to the varicella-zoster virus. Herpes zoster usually clears up in 2 to 3 weeks and rarely returns. Sometimes, the pain in the area where the shingles occurred may last from months to years . This pain is called postherpetic neuralgia (probably what you were experiencing after). Postherpetic neuralgia is more likely to occur in people over age 60. It occurs when the nerves have been damaged after an outbreak of shingles. Pain ranges from mild to very severe.
Now, from your description of the spots, I will identify them as petechiae ( small red or purple skin lesions that occur as a result of subdermal hemorrhage (due to breakage of blood capillary vessels). This petechiae could be due to previous viral infection or active viral infection. In any case, your doctor will have to do a sampling of the skin and analyse for presence of virus.
I think it is nothing serious to worry about but paying a visit to a dermatologist is advised.

Hope this helps and wish you a good health

Nsah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor