Ask a Urologist   »  

have had a very flaccid penis lately and also am

Excellent

Question
have had a very flaccid penis lately and also am unable to get erection do not wake up with erection help
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ozzy,

When there are no morning erections then usually the cause is something physical rather than emotionally related. It can be due to a number of health problems as well as medications.

Can you please tell me:
1. Any ongoing health problems you have?
2. List all medications and over the counter meds as well as supplements.
3. What is your height and weight?
4. How long has this problem been going on?
5. Have you ever had your blood sugar checked?

I'll write more after I hear back.

Follow-up: have had a very flaccid penis lately and also am 26 minutes later
I have high blood pressure I take bystolic lisinipril klonopin and lovalo I'm 5 10 285 lbs problems been going on for months blood sugar normal

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ozzy,

Thank you for the additional information.

You have two significant risk factors for erectile dysfunction, unfortunately: hypertension and being overweight. It also correlates with cardiovascular disease risk factors such as elevated lipids and smoking.

I don't know your physical activity level, but one major study showed that exercise decreased the risk of ED.

Obstructive sleep apnea is also a risk factor for ED and treatment of sleep problems can help improve sexual function.

So what to do:
I recommend going to a urologist for exam and blood tests. Blood tests should include
CBC (complete blood count - gives a picture of if there is anemia, infection, inflammation)
A1C - shows blood sugars over 2-3 months rather than at one moment in time
TSH - to check for thyroid problems which can interfere
Serum testosterone level - inadequate testosterone can affect function
If the serum testosterone is low, then a serum prolactin hormone level should be checked as well (or do both at the same time).

The most common causes are hormonal, vascular (blood vessel issues) or neurological. Given the history you've provided, the problems for you would more likely be hormonal and vascular (neurological would relate more to diabetes).

In addition to seeing a urologist, do what you can to increase physical activity daily. This may have a very good effect not only for improving cardiovascular health which can help the ED but also it may help with weight loss which can help in a number of ways (including hormonally).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.