question-icon

had a cough over xmas and just syarted to go

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2019
Question: had a cough over xmas and just syarted to go and now got another one , im scared ive got lung cancer it can be a dry cough and chesty
would i have other symtons if i had cancer
i 44 and a smoker
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Early lung cancer has coughing only.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Ask a doctor forum.
I can understand your concern.
Lung cancer in early stage can only cause dry coughing. So it is possible to have lung cancer with only coughing without any other symptoms like chest pain, weight loss, fever etc.
Since you are smoker and above 40 years of age, you should definitely get done chest x ray to rule out lung cancer and lung infection.
So get done chest x ray if not done.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist