for about two weeks now my blood pressure has been
I would explain as follows:
Welcome back on -Ask a Doctor- service!
I understand your problem and would explain that it is not infrequent when discussing about chronic treatment of hypertension.
It may happen that during the course of therapy low or high blood pressure values may persist for a couple of days of even weeks and this has to do with several potential causes.
If not an irregularity of the treatment plan (missed or changed daily doses, changing the associated compounds of the drug's active substance, etc.), then other issues should be sought as well.
Sometimes a concomitant medication (for example anti-inflammatory drugs, or neuro-psychiatric therapy, etc. may lead to weakened effect of the anti-hypertensive therapy.
An acute inflammation/infection may be another reason; certain substances like caffeinated drinks, strong tea, or excessive alcohol could be related issues.
In addition, another health disorder as well as anxiety have been found to be implicated in high persisting blood pressure values.
The above mentioned issues should be excluded step by step and lab tests need to be done as well:
- complete blood count (for anemia),
- thyroid, renal and liver function tests,
- blood electrolytes level,
Also, frequent BP monitoring during the day-night needs to be done in order to define the exact pattern of those high BP spikes and to find the right adjusting strategy.
You should discuss with your attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.
Hope to have been helpful to you!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?