does it mean anything is wrong if all of a
If there are no other associated symptoms, likely due to iron in food.
Hello Ms Batesey,
Welcome to Ask a Doctor Service.
I have reviewed your query and understand your concern.
Black and tarry stools are an indication that there is some iron in your stools.
This iron can be either from the food or from internal bleeding.
The stools turn black only if the bleeding is from upper intestine or stomach.
Colonic and rectal bleeds appear as bright red blood.
If did not experience any pain in the tummy or nausea or vomiting then you can wait and watch for a few more days as it now has cleared up.
However, it is advisable to get investigated to find out if have had an upper GI bleed.
You can have black stools if have consumed meat and certain parts like liver and spleen in the meat because they are rich in blood of the animal and that presents as black stools.
I hope that answers your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...