question-icon

does it mean anything is wrong if all of a

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019
Question: does it mean anything is wrong if all of a sudden your stool is black for a couple of days?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
If there are no other associated symptoms, likely due to iron in food.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms Batesey,

Welcome to Ask a Doctor Service.

I have reviewed your query and understand your concern.

Black and tarry stools are an indication that there is some iron in your stools.

This iron can be either from the food or from internal bleeding.

The stools turn black only if the bleeding is from upper intestine or stomach.

Colonic and rectal bleeds appear as bright red blood.

If did not experience any pain in the tummy or nausea or vomiting then you can wait and watch for a few more days as it now has cleared up.

However, it is advisable to get investigated to find out if have had an upper GI bleed.

You can have black stools if have consumed meat and certain parts like liver and spleen in the meat because they are rich in blood of the animal and that presents as black stools.

I hope that answers your query.

Best regards
Dr. Yogesh D