does high potassium mean kidney disease ? i dont know

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Thu, 28 Feb 2019 in Kidney Conditions
Question: does high potassium mean kidney disease ? i dont know the exact reading but dr said little bit raised.

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Causes of high potassium

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. High blood potassium may be a sign of more than one problem in the body. Kidney failure is the most serious cause, but it can also be caused by certain medications such as some medication for treating high blood pressure, diabetes, dehydration, conditions causing damage on muscle cells such as alcohol or drug use or muscle injury due to any kind of trauma. In all these cases, potassium levels would be considered high and a cause of concern.

Sometimes drawing blood for blood tests may cause a small increase in potassium levels and this is normal. Based on the actual reading, your doctor will advise you further.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 14 hours later
Level
Is 6. Is this very high then ?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild to moderate hyperkalemia

Detailed Answer:

At 6 it is considered mild to moderate hyperkalemia (another word for high potassium). It is important to do an ECG first, because an abnormal ECG and increased potassium levels may be a cause for concern.

If the ECG is normal, then your doctor should look at the kidney function, through a urine test and possibly a kidney ultrasound. If the kidneys are healthy, the next step is to look at the medication you are taking, as they may be the cause of high potassium levels. I suggest you consult with your doctor regarding further investigation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D