question-icon

cancephalexin or erythromycin be used to treat shingles ivehad shingles

Posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2019
Question: cancephalexin or erythromycin be used to treat shingles ivehad shingles for 2 weeks
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Cephalexin and Erythromycin not used as drug of choice for Shingles

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.

Neither Cephalexin nor Erythromycin are used as drug of choice for cure of shingles. Both of them are antibiotics to kill the bacteria in human body.
Shingles is a disease occurs due to viral infection. So we use Acyclovir kind of antivirals to cure the disease of shingles.
Hope this answers the question. Let me know if I can discuss further on shingles.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam