question-icon

can insomnia develope as reaction to an MAOI uptake inhibbitor

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2019
Question: can insomnia develope as reaction to an MAOI uptake inhibbitor at a does of 600mg perdqy after taking it for 17 years with out that side effect?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using 'Ask A doctor' service.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It is very unlikely to have insomnia as a side effect/reaction to particular medication after years of use. The recent onset of insomnia can be due to the following factors in your case.

1. Decreased effect of MAOI or insomnia related to depression- This is regularly reported that after some time antidepressant loses efficacy in some patients. However, this is very uncommon with MAOI as evident by your continuous response over the last 17 years.

2. Insomnia unrelated to depression- In case there are no more symptoms of depression other than insomnia it could be unrelated to depression as well as MAOI.

I hope this helps you.
Please feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist