can I take hydrochlorithizide safely if I take potassium pills?
yes but the dosage would have to be individualized
diuretics do have this side effect (hypokalemia = low serum potassium). Both lasix and hydrochlorthiazide (HCT) may lower your potassium levels. If diuretics are absolutely needed, there are two ways to go about it.
- take potassium pills every so often
- take a potassium sparing diuretic along with lasix or HCT (the first combination is much more common)
In both cases the dosage would have to be individualized since there is no way to predict the effect of the diuretics in any particular individual.
I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Dr Panagiotis Zografakis
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?