been in hospital for 3 days. Diagnosed with adhesions attatched

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 in Women's Health
Question: been in hospital for 3 days. Diagnosed with adhesions attatched to bowel and endometrosis.
Been home for a few days and pain is still there.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post surgery?

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern but in order to give you a fully informed answer, please specify if the stay in hospital was because surgery.

If you meant you had surgery and you are still in pain, this is normal. As you may know, a part of the small or large intestine was removed and this makes the recovery time longer. Usually, recovery time after surgery for bowel adhesions may take 4-5 weeks, or longer, depending on your specific condition. Pain and nausea will still be present and should progressively get better over the next few weeks. It may take even longer for your bowel movement to return to normal and you may also notice blood in your stool. This is all normal.

You need to take pain medication as prescribed and make sure you eat a low fiber diet a drink plenty of fluids for a few weeks. You make take a stool softener if necessary.

If your pain does not get better even after you take pain medication, or you develop a fever, or you notice signs of infection at the incision site, please seek immediate medical care.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana