question-icon

at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018
Question: at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands wake back up. currently on 10mg. started predisone in Feb of this year. started at 60mg
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
our body starts producing when reduced to 7.5 mg but takes time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to ask a doctor service...
My name is Dr. Rahman.
I have read your question, and here is my advice...

In fact, our own adrenal glands start producing our own hormones, once steroids reduced to 7.5 mg daily (range is 5 to 10 mg). However, this may take quite sometimes.

How to stop steroids-- depends on the nature of the disease, the duration of steroids use and many factors, but general rule is we reduce it by about 5 mg every week to 2 weeks, until dose reaches 10 mg, after this we decrease it very slowly, like about 1 to 2.5 mg every two to 4 weeks depending on disease until it is stopped. Please note that this entire course should be done under strict supervision of your doctor.

Hopes this is clear now. I would be glad to answer anything further you want to ask.

Kind Regards
Dr Rahman.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman