agonising left sided facial pain from temple to jaw line
throbs a bit during the day but so bad at night-time
Looks like trigeminal nuerlagia, but needs further evaluation
Hi and Welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Sorry to hear about how you have been suffering lately. The pain may have many causes and would need a detailed assessment but it looks more like trigeminal nuerelgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is inflammation in one nerve in the face. It causes very severe sharp, or throbing pain. The pain is mostly in brief episodes and may come like electric shocks. Pain is precipitated by chewing, brushing etc. Certain drugs may be advised and help alot, once this is confirmed.
Another possible cause is problem in the joint at the temple, (TMJ) specially omif opening of mouth is very painful.
Sinus infection is another possible cause, that is more likely if pain is persistent on the cheek area, and if the cheek area is swollen, or painful to touch. Or if you have recently had a flue or blocked nose.
So there are few possibilities, but a pain that does not respond to simple analgesia and persists should be investigated. Mostly it's not for any serious cause, but need evaluations as different drugs are used for the management, specially as the likely cause being trigeminal nuerlgia. So I understand that examinations is necessary and may need few tests like xray or even scans just to be sure that every thing is fine.
So for the time you may use heat applications, along with the pain medicines for some relief, but you need to see your doctor for proper assessment and management.
Hope this answer help you understand your querry. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I will be glad to answer your questions.
Kind Regards Dr Mahboob Ur Rahman
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol