Yesterday morning I shoveled snow before eating or drinking. when

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Yesterday morning I shoveled snow before eating or drinking. when I came in I had an immediate attack of nausea and dizziness and fell to the floor. the light headed/dizziness lasted for an hour. I had to keep my eyes open and gaze straight to keep the symptoms at bay. I am blaming dehydration (lots of coffee day before). I am a healthy, active 59 year old woman
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to assume the cause...

Detailed Answer:

I went through the details with diligence. It's difficult to assume the cause of dizziness, nausea and loss of posture (fall to the floor). There are few conditions that may cause these symptoms. And lots of coffee consumption hours before the event are one of the cause. In such cases it is important to check blood pressure, blood sugar as well as cardio examination. An EKG is warranted.

If you are feeling well now and do not have any more light headedness, we need not be overly worried. But I will urge you to see a primary care physician.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad