Yesterday around mid-afternoon I experienced tightening in my abdomen area.
Start things gradually.
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Your symptoms seem to be related to the protein shakes you are having. A sudden change from normal food to high protein with appetite suppressant usually causes gut upset in most of the people after a few weeks.
Tightening of the abdomen is suggestive of the fact that gases are formed inside intestine by fermentation of proteins these gases causes inflammation in intestines leading to spasmodic pain.
Take lots of fibers with your shake so that body could tolerate high protein diet. Increase the supplementation gradually otherwise you would either end up having loose motions or constipation.
Take a soft diet for a day or two.
Banana, toast, apple sauce, and rice would be okay.
Take probiotic capsule like VSL#3 for three days.
Activated charcoal tablet along with antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 10 mg twice daily for two days.
Once you start feeling fine, start shakes etc. gradually.
Hope I was helpful,
Follow-ups are welcome,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?