Yes. I had a PT/PTT/INR and D-dimer drawn yesterday around

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Yes. I had a PT/PTT/INR and D-dimer drawn yesterday around 2 pm...they were all in normal range and my d-dimer was 0.28...I had 2 excedrin (which have aspirin in them) around 11:00 am yesterday morning...so 4 hrs before the lab draw...if there was a possibility of a DVT or PE, the aspirin still should have not made the result normal right?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Why did you do all these tests

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Why did you do these tests (PT/INR and D Dimer).
Did you have any breathing difficulty or anything else.
And yes you are right, Aspirin has no effect over any of these tests.
If someone is suspecting pulmonary embolism, I'll advise you to get a ECG and 2D Echo done too.
Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 2 days later
Thank you so much! I didn’t think aspirin or blood thinners could alter the true value of a D-dimer result, but wanted to make sure! I had these tests done for some shortness of breath, but my doctor thought it was just asthma but wanted to rule out everything else. I had an ECG and Echo done and both were normal.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Than all is ok from cardiac side

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Not Aspirin but other blood thinner (Warfarin and Acitrom) alters the PT/INR. Rest other blood thinners have no effect on it. So you rightly thought so.
D Dimer is a test which is used to rule out presence of any clot in blood vessel going to lungs. Having normal echo, ECG and D Dimer rules out this and other cardiac causes.
So now the respiratory causes are left which can cause breathlessness. You can ask your doctor whether you need a Chest X Ray and PFT(pulmonary function test) to rule out exact pathology.

I hope you get well soon.
If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 41 hours later
How common is it to have a PE spontaneously without surgery, pre-existing blood clotting disorders, prolonged immobilization, etc?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is rare

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
PE is always because of some cause. Major causes include prolonged immobilisation, some clotting disorders, some Connective Tissue disorder.
So it does not occur on its own. It has to have some underlying cause.
So don't worry.
Thanks and take care.
If you have any questions in future I'll be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 7 hours later
Thanks so much! What about from a terrible fall to the lower back? Any risk of PE or DVT?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
No their is not

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Sorry to be late in replying.
No. A fall in the back does not cause pulmonary embolism (PE) but a prolonged immobilisation following the fall can lead to clot formation in veins of leg (DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis) which can further lead to PE as the clot can travel to lungs.
Thanks and take care
I'll be more than happy in answering further questions from you.