Yellowish vaginal discharge, no odor, slightly itching. Yeast infection or UTI?

Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I am having a vaginal discharge that is sometimes whitish and sometimes yellowish, i have very slight itching, but no odor. I have discomfort urinating sometimes but not really pain so i don't think it's a uti. Could I possibly have a yeast infection? What else could it be? I am about 5 to 7 days away from starting my monthly cycle. I had a bacterial vaginosos about a month ago, but that had an odor and this does not.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Your symptoms are suggestive of yeast infection. Another possibility is trichomoniasis. In trichomoniasis, partner also needs to be treated even if he does not have symptoms.

The treatment differs for both conditions. So it is advised to consult gynecologist for clinical examination.
For candidial infection, clotrimazole cream can be applied locally.

For trichomoniasis, Metronidazole or tinidazole is prescribed. So consult doctor for clinical examination.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow up: Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 7 hours later
Thank you, I am pretty sure it's a yeast infection, I was on two very strong antibiotics at the same time about a month ago, so I will be taking a trip to the doctor. I have never had a yeast infection and I thought they had an odor to them, that's why I asked my question. I don't think it is trichomoniasis. I have had that before and the amount of discharge was much much heavier than this, very thin in consistency, and greenish in color. This is a thicker discharger, and the amount is a lot less. I apologize for not remembering that information when I submitted my question. Anyway, thank you for your answer!
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 16 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Considering your information regarding discharge per vaginum; it is sure yeast infection.
Doctor will prescribe you clotrimazole cream, oral medication generally not required.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.