Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Yellow coloured sore lump on hard palate, sore throat. What could cause these symptoms?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5128 Questions
I have a somewhat sore lump on my hard palate and a yellowish hue to my soft palate - first noticed lump yesterday and yellow color today; what could cause these symptoms? Have also had a sore throat off and on.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 16 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks fr the query.

Have you any pain or difficulty in swallowing ?

Have you lost weight recently ?

According to the clinical picture the sore lump could be a mucous retention cyst, infection or neoplastic mass like Pleomorphic adenoma which is a benign tumor of the salivary glands on the hard palate.

Since you have associated sore throat, it is possible it could be infection like Pharyngitis. The yellow hue could be due to staining as seen in chronic smokers or could be due to food or drink which you may have consumed recently. Other cause could be infection developing into abscess which will also show severe redness and swelling.

You may do salt water gargling for three times a day for a week. This will reduce the swelling, pain and has anti-infective properties. Do consume a tablet of Acetaminophen for fever, under medical supervision. You can also do steam inhalation for relief.

Avoid hot fluid or food, hard food, spicy food. Keep well hydrated.

It is well known in medical literature that smoking can cause severe throat infections, lung infections, and also cancers of mouth, throat, food pipe, lungs etc. Hence, it is good if you have stopped smoking completely because even occasional cigarette can be devastating to your health.

Kindly keep it up. Do join a good rehabilitation if you are having stress about the decision you made about quitting smoking yourself. These programs are well available in many Hospitals and Clinics.

It is best to consult with an ENT Doctor to look for the causes as mentioned above after a thorough examination. Once the diagnosis is reached, if it is an infection, you may be prescribed antibiotics and other medication to reduce inflammation and pain.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor