Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Yeast infection,white smelly discharge

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 126 Questions
i think i have yeast infection
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 minutes later

Why do you think you have yeast infection?
Where do you have the problem?
Do you have cheesy discharge?
How long you have the said problem?

Please give more details about you and regarding your symptoms so that I can help you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Yeast infection,white smelly discharge 22 minutes later
i have white discharge , and smells in my vagina
i have had it for years
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

White discharge could be due to following reasons:
1. Physiological (Normal)
2. Fungal infection - Vaginal candidiasis
3. STD - Trichomoniasis
4. Bacterial Vaginosis

These are all treatable conditions and recurrences are known to occur frequently, if not treated adequately.

Vanginal candidiasis: Presents with extremely vulval itching, curdy white discharge. Treatment involves antifungal like nystatin pessary or oral ketaconazle which has to prescribed by your doctor.

Trichomoniasis: Presents fishy odour, white discharge. Itching is less. Though this is commonly transmitted as STD, other possible routes of contracting this infection is via common baths, toilets, towels etc. Treatment involves treating both the partner with metronidazole which has to prescribed by your doctor.

Bacterial Vaginosis: Presents with greenish white discharge, bad odor. Diagnosed via microscopy of the discharge. Treatment is with metronidazole for a period 7 - 14 days.

Before starting any of the above treatment, confirmation of the diagnosis is required. This is possible only with Gynecological examination. So I suggest you consult a gynecologist for further examination and treatment.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor