Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Yeast infection, chronic and recurring condition. On diflucan, acidophilus medication. Causes for vaginal discharge?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12738 Questions
Hello. I have had a constant yeast infection for about four years now. I saw a nurse practitioner about it first, and she gave me diflucan for it. This didn't work even after getting another prescription. She said that that usually worked, and that I just might be prone to them (but am I supposed to have this all the time? isn't that dangerous?). Then she referred me a gynecologist. I went to a gynecologist about this twice and each time she told me there was only a little yeast. She prescribed a different drug and gave me the usual advice about eating yogurt, taking acidophilus, cotton underwear, etc. I've also tried monostat and micronazide (sorry if I spelled that wrong). The only other thing I can think to do is change my diet, completely cut out sugar, which is difficult because I live on campus and our eating options are limited.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Having treatment for vaginal discharge multiple times without being relieved of discharge is distressing. Bacterial vaginosis is usually associated with super added fungal infections and if not treated vigorously is notorious for recurrence. A common reason of recurrent infections is simultaneous improper treatment of the partner which keeps on reinfecting the female partner repeatedly.

Mild amount of vaginal discharge is a normal finding. You need to have a vaginal swab culture sensitivity to find out the type of infection you are having and will help in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.
Sometimes it needs vigorous treatment with oral antifungal agents.You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.

Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination and vaginal swab culture.
The recurrence of infection in your case is most likely due to the incomplete treatment. The local anti fungal creams are not sufficient for full cure.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor