Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

X-ray showed lumbar fracture. Having pain in lower back muscle. get relief from Alleve. Suggestion?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
From a fall I have an lumbar 2 "slight" fracture, the doctor said after looking at the ex-rays. I am experiencing
pain in my lower back muscles also when I cough, stand and sit, but seem to be o.k. when I walk. The message
his nurse gave me was that nothing could be done about it, I'd just have to let it heal. I do get some relief from
Alleve but wonder if there is something else I should know or be doing. Once yesterday when I was sitting I
experienced light headedness and so laid on my back for much of the rest of the day.
Thank you -- I am wondering how long it should take this to heal and also what things I should avoid doing or am able to do to help the situation.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It takes around 3-4 months to heal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the above description, I assume that you have sustained a STABLE (without any neurological deficits in the legs) compression of L2 vertebral body.

The treatment for these injuries is always conservative which falls into the following categories -
* BED REST should be only for few days untill the acute pain subsides and prolonged immobilization is not advisable as it further leads to weakening of bone (disuse osteoporosis)
* PAIN MEDICINES as recommended by your treating doctor
* CALCIUM & fracture consolidates (which calcium preparation is best for you will be decided by your treating doctor)
* EXTERNAL BRACING in the form of a Lumbar corset

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: X-ray showed lumbar fracture. Having pain in lower back muscle. get relief from Alleve. Suggestion? 27 hours later
Thank you for your answer, however, I did not get a response about the Pay Pal
problem, even after contacting your customer services which says an answer
would come to e-mail soon. After a request yesterday and today, I have
received no response. A phone number I saw began with a +instead of a number
so it isn't possible to call customer services on the phone. Could you please
direct me to the way to resolve this problem? I gave permission for a Pay Pal
remittance for ONE MONTH not EVERY month! Please let me know how I can
discontinue this service. Please send me an e-mail regarding this. I am spending
too much time trying to get this resolved!!
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The only way is to contact customer care.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am sorry to say this but I am not the person (as a consultant) to solve your problem. You have to contact the customer care personnel. You can drop a mail to customer care at " YYYY@YYYY ".

Good day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor