Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

X-ray showed hyoid bone broken. Not having any pain or breathing problem. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 173 Questions
My son had an xray done of his spine for head problems after a concussion 6 weeks ago. On the X-ray we noticed his hyoid bone is broken, but he has no pain in that area, breathing problems or swallowing problems. The Dr we were seeing, didn't think it was a problem, but he admitted it was odd. Is it ok? Do we need to do something? Will it heal? Thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
Dear Friend,

Yes, it is odd but was fracture fresh or old, is there a gap at fracture site? If yes, it may be congenital also.

But any way, if your son has no problems nothing needs to be done.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Regards Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: X-ray showed hyoid bone broken. Not having any pain or breathing problem. Should I be concerned? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply. My son asked the chiropractor if it was a new fracture, old or possibly congenital -but he couldn't tell. He suggested we see someone else about it because if he has any trauma to the area, even minor, it could cause a problem. What doctor would be the best one to see -a neurosurgeon, ENT, or someone else? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later

You can ask a good ENT specialist or Neurosurgeon or even a Radiologist for that.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor