X-ray report shows exostosis seen arising from left 1st rib. Meaning?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My x-ray report states the below:

Exostosis seen arising from left 1st rib.
Three oval sclerotic lesions seen in left scapula.
One more thing. As per the new x-ray report (which I took from another place), there is no osteolysis. You can refer to the chest x-ray film attached.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 54 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through the reports attached.Your lesions on scapula suggestive of Osteopoikilosis, a skeletal dysplasia, manifests radiographically as multiple bone islands that typically are situated in a peri-articular distribution in long and short tubular bones, as well as in the pelvis and scapulae.

The process usually does not result in symptoms or abnormal laboratory values, although associations with mild arthralgias have been reported.

Do not worry these are benign lesions.

Also exostosis on your first rib is benign condition so do not worry about this.

Hope this helps you. Lt me know if you have any more concern.
Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest the only words that I understood are "Do not worry these are benign...". Rest are too medical words for me to understand!!

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back and sorry for the medical words.

Osteopoikilosis means spotted bone. It is harmless condition identified on x XXXXXXX by white spots.

No medical treatment is required for this condition.

Exostosis is bony outgrowth, again harmless condition and requires no treatment unless symptoms occur.

Hope this will helps you. Please do write back for any clarification.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement